This week: Cartology (Mapping) at SCSU in St Cloud, MN or Ridgewater in Willmar, MN
- Length of the program: 4 years (bachelor's degree) or 2 years at Ridgewater
- Typical Career Name: Cartographers and Photogrammetrists, Drafters, Geographers, Geospatial INformation Scientisits and Technologists, Photographers, Precision Agriculture Technicians, Remote Sensing Scientists and Technologists, Social Science Research Assistants, Surveying and Mapping Technicians, Surveyors
- What do I do with this? Cartography programs teach people to make maps. Students learn to use math and computers to aid them in reading and designing maps. They also learn to interpret geographic information from photos.
- Things to know: Students use computers for research, map design, word processing, and running statistical packages.
You can combine your cartography studies with a major in history, archeology, biology, or many other fields.
There are few graduate programs in cartography alone. However, you can study cartography further by attending a graduate program in geography.
- Approximate starting wage: $26.97 per hour with a high growth (meaning a good job outlook)!